“I was quite happy as a backing singer but Neil would always say, 'C'mon, you're the only chick in the band, we've gotta get your face out front. Surely you can sing a couple of songs to give me a break. I started singing one line of My Island Home, then a verse, then it ended up becoming the song that I sang.”
- Christine Anu, Singer, Dancer, Actor
“This bin Gurindji country long time before them Vestey mob"
- Vincent Lingiari, Aboriginal rights activist
"We must connect with old people, we need to tap into their wisdom. The hearts of Aboriginal women are crying for their culture.”
- Mandawyu Yunupingu, Musician
“Native Title is Not Land Rights, and Reconciliation is Not Justice!"
- Gary Foley, Activist, Academic, Writer and Actor
"I made my first Australian senior team when I was 16, first Olympics when I was 19, and I retired. I'm 32, I retired four years ago, so a good third of my life or nearly a third of my life has been all about running"
- Cathy Freeman, Olympic Athlete
“Mum's words always stay in my mind. She used to tell me to 'have a lovely day' whenever I left the house to go play. When I came home she always asked: 'Did you have a lovely day?' It was never: 'Did you win or lose?"
- Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Tennis champion
“The scrubs are gone, the hunting and the laughter. The eagle is gone, the emu and the kangaroo are gone from this place. The bora ring is gone. The corroboree is gone. And we are going.”
- Oodgeroo Noonuccal (Kath Walker), Poet, Writer, Teacher, Artist, Aboriginal Rights Campaigner
“When camping, always wear a long-sleeved shirt. It gives you something to wipe your nose on.”
- Ernie Dingo, Actor
“United we stand divided we fall together we'll stand in solidarity” [lyrics]
- Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, Singer
“I feel great. I'm on top of the world, I'm floating on air. It's a big weight off my shoulders... It's the closure I need.”
- Archie Roach, Singer/Songwriter, member of the Stolen Generations
"You can play a tune on black keys, you can play a tune on white keys, but both are needed for perfect harmony.”
- Sir Douglas Nicholls, first Aboriginal State Governor (South Australia)
“We are all one blood. No matter where we are from, we are all one blood, the same.”
- David Gulpilil, Actor
"He does not know how to make the side of a tree which is in the light look the same colour as the side of the tree in shadow...I know how to do better."
- Albert Namatjira, Artist
“[My upbringing] not only led me into boxing but also gave me something else that helped me to the world's title. It's like an outer shell that gives you resistance and immunity to many things, physical and mental."
- Lionel Rose, Boxer, World Bantamweight Champion
“No matter what our colour or our creed, at heart, from this day forward, we are all fundamentally Australian.”
- Noel Tovey, Aboriginal dancer, member of the Stolen Generations
"We've got to come together, that's what we want for Australia. As one people. We're all Australians, regardless of your ethnic background, regardless of your political belief, regardless of your religious beliefs we are all Australians."
- Neville Bonner, Australian Senator